Golden Beer Tasting & Chili Cook-Off ~ Saturday, October 14, 2023
Wanted! The Best Chili in Town!! Does Your Chili Have What it Takes? Why Should You Cook?
Because it’s all about supporting the local Golden community, having fun and the CHILI, of course! Who has the best?? Chili will be judged and awarded for top flavors by judges and attendees! Show your support for Golden and show off your chili recipes! Everyone loves Chili – so Bring Your “A” Game and come cook with us!
CHILI COOKS: AT-A-GLANCE EVENT BASICS
For more detailed information, please read the 2023 Chili Cook Rules (see bottom of page).
Date ~ Time ~ Location
Saturday, October 14, 2023
1 – 4 pm
Parfet Park in Golden, CO
(located just north of the main downtown Golden area, on SE corner of Washington Avenue & 10th Street)
Event takes place rain or shine!
· Any individual, business/organization or restaurant may participate as a Chili Cook, upon application approval.
· Pay a $50 reservation fee that will be 100% refunded upon event day participation. If you do not participate, no refund will be issued.
· Must read and sign the 2023 Golden Beer Tasting & Chili Cook-Off rules provided in the application (see bottom of this page).
· Must provide 10-12 gallons of chili per entry. Cooks will prepare and serve a 1 ounce sample for attendees.
Event Schedule – Chili Cooks
7 - 9am Load-in/Set-up – Chili Cooks
12 Noon Cook’s Meeting – Welcome & Review of Rules
1 – 4pm Event Hours – Beer & Chili samplings, entertainment, silent auction
1pm Judging Cups due to Judge’s Tent
3:45pm Chili Awards
4pm Event Close
4:15pm Load-out/Tear Down Starts
· Each Chili Cook booth will be pre-assigned a 10’ x 10’ space on grass.
· Cooks must provide their own tents, tables and chairs.
· The Golden Chamber will provide chili sampling cups for attendees, napkins and serving ladles. Also provided are large cups for the judge’s samples.
· No plastic spoons allowed for attendees! Attendees will simply “shoot” their chili samples from the sampling cups.
· No electricity/power is available. No generators allowed.
Chili Entry Classes & Categories
· Classes will include: Individuals/Businesses and Restaurants
· Categories will include: Red, Green and Other (Other may include vegetarian or white as examples)
Chili Judging – Judges Choice & People’s Choice
Judges Choice - All Individual/Business and Restaurant entries will be judged by a panel of volunteer judges. Chili Cooks will submit a sample of chili for blind judging (i.e. judges will not know who cooked each sample).
· Judging Criteria includes: aroma, consistency, color, taste and after-taste. Note – Heat is not a judging factor!
· Judges will select:
o Individual/Business: Red, Green & Other – 1st & 2nd Place
o Restaurant: Red, Green & Other – 1st & 2nd Place
People’s Choice – All attendees will receive a ballot when they enter the event. Attendees will vote at the Voting Booth and by popular vote will select:
o Best Red, Best Green & Best Other
o Best Booth/Showmanship
· Judges Choice Awards – for Individual/Business and Restaurants:
o Ribbons and cash prizes will be awarded for 1st Place in each category (Red, Green & Other)
o Ribbons will be awarded for 2nd Place in each category (Red, Green & Other)
· People’s Choice – for Best Red, Best Green, Best Other & Showmanship:
o Ribbons will be awarded for each.
What is the Showmanship Award?
· Make your booth a PARTY – for yourself and attendees! Give it a THEME! Have fun!
· Attendees will be encouraged to vote for their favorite booth based on theme, costume, booth set-up, action and audience appeal.
· Showmanship must be in good taste. Lewd or obscene themes are prohibited! Alcoholic beverages may not be distributed to attendees as part of the showmanship.